mrbrenlea

mrbrenlea

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Tools for my project

This week I began by crafting my driving question.  I was again struck by the similarity and differences between the PYP and PBL.  One of the first things we do when creating a unit in the PYP is try to craft a central idea.  The central idea is supposed to be a statement that is broad, conceptually rich, and accessible to the students.  While many of these are similar, PBL uses a questions instead of a statement and more importantly localizes it for the students.  In the examples I looked at there is usually a very explicit connection in the driving questions to the local community.  However, in PYP central ideas are meant to be globally transferrable and thus typically don't contain specifics about location.

Eventually I decided to narrow down my questions to "How can we use our devices for learning?"  This question I believe blends the two approaches nicely.  Also, by not including specifics about the place name, I am ensuring that it is globally transferable.  However, the use of the word our localizes it for the students as well.

For my project I am currently using Weebly and Coogle to house and organize my resources and my thinking.  In terms of standards I am currently using the ISTE Standards for Students and the Common Sense Education curriculum.  So far, I have many ideas for the unit, however, it is a matter of trying to narrow it down for the students into a unified vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment